This cocktail is an apple orchard in a glass, bursting with three layers of apple flavor from fresh sweet cider, 100-proof apple brandy, and fizzy hard cider.
For the Spiced Cider Concentrate
- 4 cups fresh apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 allspice berries, whole
- 1 teaspoon cloves, whole
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, whole
For the Cocktail
- 2 ounces Laird’s Bonded Apple Brandy
- 1 ounce apple cider concentrate syrup
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice from about half a lemon
- 4 ounces hard cider such as Samuel Smith’s Organic Cider
- Apple slice or apple chip for garnish (optional)
- For the Spiced Cider Concentrate
In a medium saucepan, combine cider, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a simmer, uncovered, until reduced by 3/4, and consistency is viscous like maple syrup, about 2 hours. Strain and let cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- For the cocktail
Combine apple brandy, spiced cider concentrate, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Top with hard cider. Garnish with apple slice or apple chip if desired. Serve!